Monday 10 April 2017

Sri Lanka

We picked up our coach in Colombo which is completely mad.  The Tuk Tuk drivers seem to know no fear as they weave in and out of the traffic and squeeze themselves down the side of coaches and lorries!



We finally arrived at Colombo Fort station to catch the train to Kandy.  I think the train was laid on for us as we all had seats and there were no stops.  I don't think the rail system has been updated since the British left.  The track is wide gauge but I don't know if that's why the train was so hilariously bumpy.  We were given a small and unexpected breakfast of a sandwich, a yummy samosa and a muffin.  Tea and coffee were offered but Stevie and I passed as most people seemed to end up wearing theirs!
















When we arrived in Kandy we were taken by coach to the Botanical Gardens which are very pretty.  There were many school parties of very polite, beautiful children.  Our guide (who at 6' 5" was unmissable) told us they wear white as it is the colour of purity in Sri Lanka.  There are many native trees in the gardens and a few were full of very large bats (fruit I think).







Tree full of bats!






From here we went to a hotel for lunch.  I had hoped if would be food typical of Sri Lanka but unfortunately they felt obliged to cater for British tastes and although very nice was an odd mixture of pasta, chips and curry.

After lunch we were supposed to go to the Temple of the Tooth.  We had two queues, one female and one male and entered a small booth to be checked out by security for correct dress.  I thought I was OK in a long dress and shawl to cover my arms but Sheila was turned away as her dress was see-through.  After two more tries (having purchased a sarong) she still wasn't allowed in and then I was told my dress was also see-through although I didn't think it was but hey ho.  So we then had to hang around the hotel until the rest of our group returned.  As it happened the tooth isn't even there!

Then it was back to the train for another hilarious journey.  We had a small fire in the generator providing the air-con (2 large ceiling fan) which caused a certain amount of consternation.  Again a small meal was provided which was nice.  Refreshing cloths were also handed out.


This seemed to be some sort of protest.


Local Laundry


Tug of War competition



Kandy Station


Our guide


Police box







2 comments:

  1. What a shame you didn't get into the Temple of the Tooth, there seem to be bits of the poor old Buddha all over the world. My "engagement" ring was made for me in Kandy and Ian reckons the Botanical Gardens are one of the best in the world - I was ill so I never visited it ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, unlike Phuket they were quite insistent on everyone being covered. Most of the men in our group couldn't get in either. This is the first time P&go had done this trip and I don't think they gave enough advice about clothing for the temple. The gardens are lovely. I did take a lot more pictures of orchids as the Orchid House here was small but lovely. But as I'd posted quite a few from Singapore, I didn't want to over do it. I am pleased with the photos as most were taken from either the coach or train. xx

      Delete